God rest ye merry gentlemen! Welcome to my 2012 Geek Christmas Quiz. Every Friday morning at 15below we have a ‘DevEd’ session. Usually this is a presentation about some interesting tech, or a new way we want to do something at the company, but today I thought I would try to gauge the true geekiness of our development team with a quiz. The winners, and therefore crowned top geeks, were Toby and Linda who got a total of 32 points. See if you can do better dear reader.
You get one point for each correct answer. The quiz is split into six sections: Computers, ‘Name That Geek’, Science, Space, ‘Name That Spaceship’, and Geek Culture.
Update: The answers are here.
- What does G.N.U. stand for?
- What did the A in ARM originally stand for?
- What does TCP stand for?
- Who founded Microsoft with Bill Gates?
- What is F2 (hexadecimal) in decimal?
- Which operating system's development was based on the 'Balmer Peak'?
- Who was the first programmer?
- What year does UNIX time start?
- What did SGI stand for?
- Write down the type signature of the Monadic Bind method.
Name that Geek
- What are the four letters of DNA?
- What does the 'c' in E = mc2 stand for?
- What is the next number in this sequence: 1 1 2 3 5 8 _ ?
- What is C8 H10 N4 02 ?
- When did Australopithecus become extinct? (in millions of years ago)
- Which of the following would you not expect to find in an atomic nucleus (electron, neutron, proton)
- What is the most common gas in the Earth's atmosphere?
- Write the formula for Ohm's law.
- If, after you fold a piece of paper in half, the ratio between its longest side and its shortest side is the same, what is that ratio?
- What living land mammal is the closest evolutionary relative to Whales? (cetaceans)
- What rocket engine powered the 2nd stage of the Saturn V?
- What is Saturn's largest moon?
- What fraction of the Earth's gravity would you experience on the moon?
- Astronauts are weightless in space because there is no gravity. true or false?
- What is the orbital period of a geosynchronous satellite?
- What is the furthest planet from the sun? (now that Pluto has been demoted)
- How many people are currently living aboard the ISS?
- To the nearest thousand, how many satellites are currently orbiting the earth?
- What was the name of the only satellite launched by the UK?
- Who was the second man on the moon?
Name that spaceship
- Who was Spooky Mulder?
- Was Kiki a trainee witch or an evil princes?
- "Humans are a _____" (Agent Smith)
- Who is Peter Parker?
- "It's a b... It's a b... It's a small, off-duty Czechoslovakian traffic warden!" What is it really?
- What does 'Otaku' (Japanese) mean?
- What does R2D2 stand for?
- What is Clarke's 3rd law?
- What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
- Open ___ ___ ___ ____ please H.A.L